The vision for Honour House
On April 16, 2010, Honour House Society purchased the former Blue Spruce Cottage at 509 St. George Street in historic New Westminster. Constructed in 1937, this nine thousand square foot heritage home has been restored and upgraded to accommodate 10 fully-accessible sleeping units and shared common areas to provide independent living and short term stay for visiting families of Canadian Forces personnel and first responders (Fire, ambulance and law enforcement.)
Our plans respected the original heritage character, detail and cross access layout of the house, while introducing modern functioning convenience and comfort.
Alterations to the overall exterior form have been limited to raising the third storey roof to provide additional accommodation with traditional dormer forms at the front, while introducing dormers and an elevator at the rear of the house to ensure disabled access to all four interior levels.
The large lot, heritage trees and stone wall has been enhanced through a landscape plan compatible with the heritage neighbourhood while providing a garden amenity for the visiting families.
Construction began in May 2010, and our official opening took place on November 10th, 2010. Construction was finally completed in September 2011.
The Directors of the Society are grateful beyond measure to the New Chelsea Housing Society for making available “Winch House” on their property n Vancouver to accommodate guests during the construction period.